The 20 year old promising youngster is reported to have completed a medical at league Champions Leicester. Ndidi will be joining the team on a reported 15 million pounds deal at the new year.
soccerblitz.net brings to you 10 facts about Wilfred Ndidi who has had a fairytale football career thus far
1. His full name is Onyinye Wilfred Ndidi, a former player of Nath Boys, a lagos-based club owned by Yemi Idowu, a Nigerian Philantropist and Entrepreneur.
2. He has made 6 appearance for the Super Eagles of Nigeria after making his debut against DR Congo on October 8th 2015. His most recent cap was coming on as a substitute for team captain John Obi Mikel in Nigeria’s world cup qualifying game versus Algeria in November.
3. Wilfred Ndidi is versatile, he can play anywhere in the midfield and can also play as a Central defender, he has been tipped by football pundits as a perfect replacement for Ngolo Kante who left Leicester to join Chelsea last summer.
4. Wilfred Ndidi represented Nigeria at the 2015 U20 world cup featuring alongside the likes of Kelechi Ihenacho, Isaac Success, Taiwo Awoniyi, he made a total of 7 apperances for Nigeria’s youth side.
5. Wilfred Ndidi never played in Nigeria’s elite league, the Nigerian Professional Football league. At Nath boys, He went on to belgium where he passed trial to be offered a professional contract at Genk. The young Ndidi when he was 18 had earlier had a trial at another Belgian side Racing Genk but failed to seal a deal in late 2014.
6. Wilfred Ndidi was named in the Europa league group stage starting eleven as he started all games and he alone shared the midfield role with Manchester United’s expensive midfielder Paul Pogba. He scored two goals in the 6 games played and was man of the match twice. Ndidi also made the most interceptions and won more tackles than any other player in the Europa League group phase.
7. Ndidi made 30 league starts in his first season at Gent and was named third best young player in the Belgian league for the 2015/2016 season. He scored a fantastic goal against Club Brugge in the Belgian league playoff which was later awarded the goal of the season.